Welcome to our course on Reading Facial Expressions!
In this course, you will learn how to decipher and interpret facial expressions in order to better understand the emotions and thoughts of others.
Facial expressions are an important aspect of nonverbal communication, and being able to read them can provide you with valuable insights into the minds and emotions of those around you. In this course, you will learn how to identify and interpret a wide range of facial expressions, including both subtle and more obvious cues.
Our course is designed for anyone who wants to improve their ability to read facial expressions, whether you are a business professional looking to better understand your clients, a teacher who wants to better understand your students, or simply someone who wants to improve their personal relationships.
What you will learn
- Discover how your face communicates genuine emotional states and how to interpret the emotions of others through their facial expressions.
- Explore how people can use emotional facial expressions to deceive others, even when they’re not genuinely feeling that emotion.
- Examine the ways we use our faces to process complex information and engage in complex activities.
- Analyse how facial expressions regulate conversations and reinforce messages, both in yourself and others.
- Learn how to consciously manage the signals you send to others to ensure they align with the message you want to convey.
- Apply the powerful ‘Facial Feedback Technique’ to positively influence your thoughts, feelings, and life outcomes.
- Understand the vital importance of distinguishing between emotion, cognition, and communicative functions of the face.
- Acquire foundational knowledge and skills for measuring facial movement using the Facial Action Coding System (FACS).
- Watch detailed video reviews of facial functions to enhance your learning experience.
- Test your knowledge with quizzes throughout the course to reinforce your learning.
- Reflect on how you can apply your knowledge and understanding of facial expressions in your day-to-day life to improve your interactions with others.
Develop Life-long Skills
Develop your understanding of a person’s emotional state through accurately reading and interpreting their facial expressions. By recognising the emotional state of an individual or group of people you are communicating with, you are better placed to adapt your behaviours and strategies to better serve the purpose of the conversation.
Our body language and facial expressions contribute greatly to how our messages are received. This programme will help you become hyper-aware of your facial displays and improve your communication skills by assuring both your verbal and non-verbal behaviours are consistent with the messages you wish to put forward.
Learn to spot micro facial expressions. These quick flashes of emotional display occur when we have a genuine emotional response but to try our best to conceal how we feel. You will develop your ability to see these micro-expressions in action and use this information to build understanding and in some cases, recognise deception.
Online Learning at its Best
Our program is designed to provide you with a comprehensive and in-depth understanding of the science behind facial expressions. Our expert instructors have a deep understanding of the latest research and theories surrounding facial expressions and will guide you through the program with their wealth of knowledge and experience.
An Interactive Community
Our program provides a unique opportunity to join a global community of individuals who are passionate about improving their communication skills. Through our community, you’ll be able to engage with fellow students, share your experiences, and learn from others. You’ll have the opportunity to participate in group discussions, receive feedback on your progress, and connect with individuals from all over the world.
For those wanting lifetime access to the content, including future uploads, we have lifetime access options upon checkout. By enrolling with lifetime access, you’ll have the opportunity to revisit the content whenever you want. Wherever you are, so you can continue to stay ahead of the game and improve your communication skills over time. With lifetime access, you’ll be able to keep up-to-date with the latest research and theories surrounding facial expressions and nonverbal communication as new insights emerge. *Lifetime access purchase required. Standard access if for 12 months from purchase.
The FaceBuy Now
There are around 4 hours of video content; however, with the exercises, reflection sessions, and ‘homework’ (fun homework, we promise), we expect the course to take around 3-5 days, depending on how quickly you want to progress through the content.
Currently, the course is only delivered in English. There are currently no subtitles on this course though we expect these to be added in the near future.
Yes and no. The vast majority of people do not need to (or want to) learn the full FACS manual (it can take over 100 hours spread over months). With that said, a working knowledge of FACS can be valuable to help make finer distinctions when analyzing facial expressions. We will therefore make sure you have enough knowledge of FACS so that you can use it when analyzing the universal expressions of emotion and other common facial expressions we encounter in day-to-day life.
The course is hosted 100% online and will require an internet connection for access.
We’re thrilled you enjoyed the program. As a higher educational institution, we have various pathways of professional and academic progression depending on what your needs and wants are. Please reach out to us, and one of our specialists will be able to support you and advise you on the next steps… even if it is not with us.
Yes. Once you have completed each section of the program, you will receive an auto-generated certificate of completion.
While this is an advanced course, you do not require any previous experience within the field of facial expressions and emotional intelligence. We will guide you through the whole course.